- Implement the SUPAA Rulebook to standardize stand up paddle board racing rules.
- Certify and educate SUPAA race officials to help implement race rules.
- Coordinate board restrictions with stand up paddle board manufacturers to ensure stand up paddle boarding remains fun and inclusive for all participants.
- Organize the scheduling of stand up paddle events in order to create the most value for event organizers, athletes and sponsors.
- Cooperate with athletes, event organizers, sponsors and all constituent groups to ensure our efforts are effectively carried out.
- Create youth development programs to provide new opportunities for access and growth of the sport.
- Provide high quality, informative content about SUP training and SUP racing.
SUPAA is dedicated to promoting excellence in the sport of stand up paddling. In pursuing this mission, SUPAA will (a) establish organizational standards to improve the quality of events and instruction (b) promote rules to ensure fair competition and (c) endeavor to establish a standard of excellence in all aspects of stand up paddling. These initiatives will produce a uniformly positive experience for stand up paddle constituent groups, including but not limited to: athletes, officials, sponsors, spectators, volunteers, media, consumers and manufacturers.
With the guidance of stand up paddle athletes, race directors and industry personnel, we will cultivate and continue positive growth of the sport of stand up paddle boarding.
Through our organizational programs we will provide a framework in which the path we set can be implemented and executed.
Through our membership and programs we will become a unified voice of the stand up paddle athlete while also representing the interests of stand up paddle board officials, sponsors, media, consumers and manufacturers.
Through our website we will provide comprehensive tools and resources for SUP training and SUP racing.
As told by SUPAA President Chase Kosterlitz:
In 2009 I helped to organize my first stand up paddle race. It was after finishing this event as an athlete and race director that I realized the amazing potential for the sport of stand up paddle boarding.
The community aspect of stand up paddle boarding had great appeal and the physical challenge of paddling across the water standing on a board was new and exciting. Like many new stand up paddle board enthusiasts, I was hooked.
I was soon training hard and working to compete at the highest level. As I began to travel and participate in more events, I quickly realized the races lacked consistency in rules and their enforcement. An athletes association was something I knew would benefit the sport.
After four years of racing and networking, I gained the resources to develop the Stand Up Paddle Athletes Association.
Our first formal meeting of athletes from around the world took place two days before the 2013 Battle of the Paddle. This meeting was held to discuss the ideas of stand up paddle athletes, vote on key issues and help gain momentum for the launch of SUPAA.
Since the meeting we have been working to organize the ideas and visions of athletes, race directors, stand up paddle board brands and industry personnel. Through open communication between all parties we have developed a strong foundation from which the Stand Up Paddle Athletes Association will operate.
We will continue to strive for excellence in stand up paddle boarding.